I will tell you exactly how.
Kate wanted to check how much Honey was inside her Warre beehive to see if any could be taken out. We got a plan sorted, put our suits on, got the box of beekeeping equipment and headed towards her Warre beehive.
I went first to climb over the wall to take the equipment over before we started. As I grabbed hold of the stone wall, a large piece from the wall fell and landed upon my little finger
My instant reactions were to push the rock off my hand and take a quick glance, there was blood all over my finger, and pain was immediate and so very overwhelming. Instantly I knew this was bad.
The pain levels and amount of blood took my mind back to a previous injury where I cut through the top of my thumb with a table saw. (you can read about how I done that in another blog “A constant reminder of the hazards of building beehives”)
I turned and ran to the house, running past Kate informing her of an injury and headed straight for the kitchen sink to clean any blood off my hands.
The pain levels were increasing, Kate came to see me at the sink to see what the urgency was. Kate knew that at this very moment in time she needed to be very calm, to be able to help me. Kate knows of my accident record, with multiple visits to Accident & Emergency, so anticipated the worst.
Kate took a look at my hand to see what was wrong. Thankfully the bleeding stopped quickly and Kate asked what happened. Shock began to kick in quickly along with feeling sick and overheating. I took a seat holding my finger wrapped in a clean tea towel whilst saying some expletive words that cannot be repeated here.
After some 10 – 15 minutes the pain subsided and I returned to some kind of normality. A dressing was applied and we put the beekeeping kit away. It was decided that a visit to Accident & Emergency was not yet required, but if the pain was still apparent the following morning, maybe then a visit was needed. A couple of paracetomol helped to take off the edge and we carried on our day.
Later that day we continued getting ready for a Halloween party to be held at home the following evening.
The next morning the pain was still around, so I jumped in the car and paid another visit to Accident & Emergency. After some 2 ½ hours, the conclusion was that the middle bone in my little finger was broken.
On the following Monday morning at the local hospitals Fracture Clinic, I was seen to by two consultants, one was a hand specialist which was very fortunate. He informed me that I had crushed the tip of the middle bone at the joint with the end bone. Looking at X rays, showed the bone is now in six pieces. The advice given was to see how it heals by itself with further check-ups with a potential operation in the future if the worst case scenario makes itself known.
The little finger now has a lovely little splint on it for the foreseeable future until they know more.
I am still amazed at how quickly a simple task can turn into chaos from a little accident.